|Previous Oar||Trail Map||Next Oar|
For the latest news on the Olympic Cinema, 117 – 123 Church Road, including programmes and activities, see the Olympic Cinema web site.
The next oar (Oar 3, St Mary's Church) is about 100 metres away, on the right hand side of the road.
On the sign:
This was built as Byfeld Hall in 1906, on the site of Byfield House, the 17th century residence of a former Governor of St Helena. The hall was a cinema and a theatre; Charles Laughton, John Gielgud and Claude Rains first trod the boards here. In 1966 it became a famous recording studio where The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Madonna, Massive Attack and many more recorded albums. U2 were the last to record here before it was sold off in 2009. It has now reverted to its former use and re-opened as a cinema in late 2013. The Homestead (to the left) is 18th century, but the cottage next door is later.