|Previous Oar||Trail Map||Next Oar|
A blue plaque notes that composer Gustav Holst (most famous for The Planets) lived at Number 10 The Terrace from 1908 - 13; Dame Ninette de Valois, founder of the Royal Ballet, lived at Number 14 from 1962 – 82. Ebenezer Cobb Morley, regarded as the father of football, lived for many years in Number 26 until his death in 1924, aged 93 - see www.barnes-history.org.uk/morley.pdf.
More information on blue plaques in Barnes and Mortlake is available at www.barnes-history.org.uk/blue.pdf
Pass under Barnes Railway Bridge and turn left at Ye White Hart.
On the sign:
This row of attractive houses dates from 1740 onwards. Some of the larger houses were let to Londoners as summer residences (it was too damp to reside here in the winter). The smaller ones were occupied by watermen (from as early as the 14th C). After the Embankment was built in London (resulting in the Thames being ponded back upstream) the Terrace suffered regular flooding. Many houses still have early flood board fixings.
The railway bridge was built in 1849 and is famous today for being the last major landmark of the Oxford and Cambridge boat race. Ye White Hart c.1622, possibly the oldest pub in Barnes had a landing stage in 1840 where passengers could embark for Margate. It was substantially rebuilt c1900.